About Me

My photo
I am an Army Chaplain serving with a unit stationed currently in Southwest Asia. In 2010 I will celebrate my 20th year as an ordained priest in the Episcopal church. Sixteen of those years have been in the service of my country. I've visited a good part of the Pacific, taught graduate school in San Antonio, Texas, spent a year with an armor unit close to the 38th Parallel and now find myself stationed in a place quite ancient and familiar to readers of the Bible. Cindy is my beloved wife and stands next to me in a photo taken during our stay in Hawaii. We have five children..all grown.. and healthy. Sam ,the Cairn Terrier, guards the family manse while I am away.

Monday, September 14, 2009

'The Devil's Anvil"

The plane ride ride from the states took abour 16 hours with 2 brief layovers. Another 2 hours by bus and we arrived at our temporary destination in a remote part of the desert. On arrival the temperature hovered at 125 degrees Fahrenheit and the landscape resembled a stretch of property on the far side of the moon. It reminds me of a scene from "Lawrence of Arabia" wherein Peter O'toole is lost in the desert, a place the locals call the "Devil's Anvil". Here we would spend time training and acclimating to the severe climate. It's hard to believe anything could possibly live in such an extreme environment until I left out a package of cookies...and lo and behold...there were ants. The pictures include the very neccessary bottled water we drank constantly to prevent dehydration. I also included a photos of the worlds safest Starbucks coffee house and our accomodations for 60. The photo of the HUMVEE at dusk shows the stark beauty here and the realization that places like this were where God chose to reveal Himself to our forebears in the faith. The first photo is of James, my Chaplain Assistant and I in "full battle rattle" on our C-130 ride into theatre. All in all it was quite an adventure and we were glad to finally enter the "war zone" and begin our ministry there.













4 comments:

  1. wow, that's a different world. good to see your blog update.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you updated this. Pictures are great and hard to imagine what it must be like there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate you sharing your experiences. It gives us a new perspective on what my son Michael is doing over there. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete